Procrastinating...
So, it is currently midnight and I have written two pages of a six page paper due tomorrow at 9:30am. So what am I doing?? Blogging. Strange you might think...but let me tell you...there is nothing like the last minute pressure to get the job done. And unfortunately for this tired pony, the pressure is not yet pressing. While the clock ticks slowly on the wall behind me and my roomie snoozes quietly in her room...I sit on a hard chair pondering the importance of standardized testing in the school system.
Thinking of the school system I remember a 7 year old girl in my chair at the salon the other day. I'm cutting her hair and we're chatting nicely when all of a sudden she asks the unaskable...
Child: "Do you have a baby in your tummy?"
Me: long pause...deciding how to tackle this one...holding back the tears and rage.
"No"
Child: "Oh. Do you have any kids?"
Me: "nope" -wondering if children pick up on the "I don't want to talk about this" vibe.
Child: "Oh. Well, are you an adult?"
Me: "Yup" -becoming amused.
Child: "Oh. Well do you LIKE kids?"
Me: "yup"- mostly one's who don't ask obnoxious questions...
Child: "Oh. Well why don't you have any kids?"
Me: "Because I'm not married" -when will the questions end?
Child: "Oh. But I thought you were an adult?" being rescued, finally, by the child's mother, the conversation officially closes with child highly perplexed at meeting an adult who isn't married and doesn't have children and whose bulging belly isn't carrying a child.
Man-o-man...life can be humbling...
And now...back to the paper.


4 Comments:
cathy-jo! how awful! kid's say the darndest things sometimes!
that's funny, because just recently I, too, got asked by a small person: "are you a kid?!??" just wait till we DO have our own, and imagine the answers we'll have to give then!...
love you lots...
bri
Oh man,
I can't wait til there's a baby in Your TUMMY! What a basketball belly you will have!
You and Shawn should really get on that=)
the rules are as follows:
1. finish school
2. get a job
3. have babies
(the order of these depends on the Lord's current sense of humour)
love you cathy-jo...i'll be sure to let you know what happens when! :) :) ;)
Tee hee. You made me laugh as always...one more story for the record. Thanks for the tears...of laughter! Love YOU!
Meliss
Post a Comment
<< Home